Overview/Fluctuations ~ Happy August! We’re seeing the market slow a bit, which is often a seasonal characteristic of the hot vacation weather and travel schedules, BUT, this year we’re also seeing things really pull back as a direct result of the overall economy in a good way…in a way that is creating more of a “normal” market where Buyers and Sellers each have their own leverage, and where negotiating on reasonable repair items and price is again “the norm”. Right on cue, more houses are going on the market (see Inventory). Anecdotal buzz goes right along with the data- Realtors seeing Buyers actually getting Offers accepted where they’ve been struggling till recently. The pace of upward push on pricing is easing, and all of this in time for inflation concerns to be lessening per recent headlines. Overall, the word on the street is and the stats show that Portland housing market is evening out some. Rates: “Rates have moderated along with inflation and are coming down to the lower 5’s at this time.” Gary Boyer, Regional VP, Directors Mortgage
According to the RMLS Market Action Report for the Portland Metro Area-July 2022:
- There were 3,763 New Listings in July 2022– down 11.8% from 4,267 in July 2021 and down 12.4% from the previous month/June’s 4,295.
- At 2,369 July 2022’s Closed Sales (Solds) are down 31.1% from July 2021’s 3,439, and down 18.1% from the previous month/June 2022’s total of 2,893.
- At 2,445 July 2022’s Pending Sales (accepted Offers) are down 27.1% from July 2021’s 3,354, and also down 4.6% from the previous month/June’s total of 2,563.
- The Average Sale Price in July 2022 of, $635,700 is up $42,600 from last year/July 2021’s $593,100, and up $2,400 from the previous month/June’s $633,300.
- The “Median” Sale Price (the price smack dab in the middle of all sales) in July 2022 of $566,000 rose from last year/July 2021’s $522,000 by $44,000, and is down $4,000 from the previous month’s $570,000.